Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chewers. Written by the lady I let live with me, aka 'Mom'

We all know one, whether it's our dog, or a friends dog....the dog that chews up anything and/or everything. We hear the horror stories, and usually we hear what a bad dog it is. Sometimes, we can even laugh about it later. Much later in some cases. I am here to tell you it's NOT the dogs fault, point that finger away from the dog, and right back into YOUR face. Yes, your face.
I was dog sitting for a friends lab mix, Edger. Cute, young, energetic dog, who was very much into toys and bones.
My dogs could care less to play much with him, so as I dozed off on couch for a good 30 minutes, I awoke to a stuffed animal massacre, stuffing, and animal limbs scattered throughout. But wait, one of my heels was chewed! Along with the inside soles of other shoes chewed to bits, some pieces on floor, others in Edgers belly I presume. All I could do was laugh, it was not his fault after all, he is just a pup, I was the one who fell asleep and left him to play alone. Imagine if you left a toddler to their own, while you napped? I wonder what walls would be colored on and what items broken in your home.
Dogs will be dogs, and a dog like Edger, needs attention and mental stimulation along with a lot of exercise. Or he gets bored, and finds his own things to play with. For the remainder of Edgers stay, I was sure to walk and job with him more, a tired dog is a good dog!

Somedays, I get it...we don't have time to walk our dog 30 minutes. Luckily, there are TONS of toys you can use to help on those days. Some of my favorite are the 'Busy Buddy' treat dispensing toys. The dogs have to work to get the toys out!

No comments: